Revised: January 27 , 2021
- Information Collected and Stored Automatically
NHCAA automatically collects and stores anonymous information about site visitors to enable us to make the NHCAA website more useful and improve the overall quality of the visitor’s online experience. Anonymous information refers to data that cannot be tied back to a specific individual. NHCAA may collect the following anonymous information from you every time you access the NHCAA website:
NHCAA does not collect any personal information about a routine visitor unless the visitor provides information to NHCAA.
- Internet domain from which you access our website (e.g. aol.com, yourschool.edu, yourcompany.com)
- IP address. An IP address is automatically assigned to your computer or mobile device when you surf the web. In some cases, these addresses may be individually or regionally identifiable. However, even when an IP address is identifiable, it usually takes additional effort to link a particular IP address to a specific individual. For many users, an IP address cannot be linked to a specific individual.
- Type of browser and operating system used to access our website
- Date and time of access
- Pages visited
- Address of the website (if any) from which you linked to NHCAA
- Personal Information Collection and Use
You do not have to provide any personally identifiable information to visit this website; however, if you use the NHCAA website to send an e-mail, subscribe to a newsletter or e-mail alert, ask for information, or if you provide personally identifiable information through NHCAA’s website in any other way, NHCAA collects and may maintain the information that you provide. Personally identifiable information refers to data that tells us specifically who you are (e.g. your name, address, social security number, credit card number, e-mail, electric service characteristics, dispute with NHCAA member, etc.). In the situations described above, your personally identifiable information may be shared among NHCAA staff as we deem necessary. Once information reaches the correct office, it will be used in the same manner as comparable information collected in other ways. In no event will NHCAA sell, rent or lease your personally identifiable information to any third parties.
- Linking to other sites
From time to time, the NHCAA website may provide links to other websites, not owned or controlled by NHCAA, that we think might be useful or of interest to you. We cannot, however, be responsible for the privacy practices used by other website owners or the content or accuracy of those other websites. Links to various non-NHCAA websites do not constitute or imply endorsement of NHCAA of these websites, any products or services described on these sites, or of any other material contained in them.
- Security and Data Quality
- NHCAA maintains its website and its information with technical, administrative, and physical safeguards to protect against loss, unauthorized access, destruction, misuse, modification, and improper disclosure. NHCAA is committed to maintaining accurate, timely, relevant, and appropriate information about our users. No computer or mobile operating system can ever be fully protected against every possible hazard. NHCAA provides reasonable and appropriate security to protect against foreseeable hazards.
- Please note that your e-mail, like most, if not all, non-encrypted Internet e-mail communications, may be accessed and viewed by other Internet users, without your knowledge or permission, while in transit to us. For that reason, to protect your privacy, please do not use e-mail to communicate information to us that you consider confidential. There are some NHCAA websites where we have made special provisions for a more secure environment in which we can exchange information with you.
- “Phishing” is a scam designed to steal your personal information. If you receive an e-mail that looks like it is from us asking you for your personal information, do not respond. NHCAA will never request your passwords, user names, credit card information or other personally identifiable information through e-mail.
- Uses and Disclosures
- NHCAA uses its website to provide services and information to its members, employees, and members of the public.
We may share information we collect on our website with companies that provide support services to us (such as auditors or web hosting providers). These companies may need this information in order to perform their functions. NHCAA generally directs recipients to agree to safeguard personal information, to use it only as authorized by NHCAA, and to return it or destroy it when no longer required.
- Legal Process
NHCAA could be required to disclose personal information in response to valid legal process, such as a search warrant, subpoena, or court order. Any record keeper faces this possibility. Disclosures may also be appropriate to protect NHCAA’s legal rights or during emergencies if physical safety is believed to be at risk. NHCAA believes that these events are unlikely, but they are possible. NHCAA will take reasonable steps to limit the scope and consequences of any of these disclosures.
You may voluntarily sign up to receive various NHCAA newsletters, updates or alerts, and other such communications, directly or indirectly, from NHCAA staff. By electing to receive any NHCAA communication, you understand that your information will be retained by NHCAA and may be added to our contact database. Based upon your election, NHCAA may contact you directly concerning other publications or events that may be useful to you. Note that as a recipient of any NHCAA-generated communications, you may unsubscribe from future messages via a link at the bottom of each email message or by calling 202-659-5955 to be removed from our contact list. NHCAA does not sell, rent, or otherwise share lists of subscribers to anyone.
- Changes to this policy
- Children and Privacy
NHCAA is committed to protecting the privacy needs of children and encourages parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities. NHCAA’s websites do not target and are not intended to attract children under the age of 13. NHCAA does not knowingly solicit personal information from children under the age of 13 nor send them requests for personal information.
- Questions, Access, and Disputes